Friday, November 14, 2008

Week 12 Post #2

Review the etiquette rules suggested in the text. Respond to each one. Have you ever been bothered by cell phone, answering machines, or beepers? What do you feel about call waiting? Is it rude to put people on hold to take another call?

I marvel at our country’s increasing advances in technology, but sometimes wonder if things would be simpler without certain modes of communication.

When I study for this class, I go to the local library. If I am not in the quiet room, cell phones are still allowed. I still think it is rude, however, when people are talking in the library at full voice on their cell phone. The library is a place where people should be quiet!

Answering machines and voice mails can be funny but not always professional. I have not been too bothered by anyone’s funny answering machine, but often wonder “what if a future employer calls”, wouldn’t that be slightly embarrassing?

I have had little experience with conference calls, but my roommate works from home and often has them each morning. She never acts silly or funny because she knows that many people are on the end of the phone call. I definitely agree with the etiquette listed in the textbook for this one. ☺

I have faxed my resume to certain employers but always warn them before I am sending. I know at my mom’s office she gets random faxes and it can be confusing if she doesn’t know when they are coming.

Screen names and Ring Tones. When I was thirteen I had a goofy screen name, but now I just list my first name. It’s definitely more professional and beneficial to peers and coworkers than cutiepie13. ☺

I have very mixed feelings for call waiting. I do believe that if I am on the phone with someone I will devote my listening ears to the person. I hate putting people on hold, but also hate knowing that if I get a call waiting, she person on the end of the lines knows I am on the phone and am not picking up their call. I feel guilty no matter what I do! ☺

Overall, technology is great and is helping us reach out to others on a global level. I do believe, however, that we should use the Etiquette for an Information Age as much as possible!

Have a splendid weekend!

No comments: