Saturday, October 4, 2008

Week 6 Discussion Post #3

1). Is it possible to perceive others without in some way judging or categorizing them? If so, how? If not, how can we make the judgments we do make more fair?

I think that it can be very difficult to perceive others without judging them. We use our values and experiences when we meet a person, and sometimes it leads to pre-conceived judgments of feelings deeply rooted within ourselves. As Trenholm explains, “person prototypes are idealized representations of a certain kind of person” (Trenholm 51). I definitely think I subconsciously use person prototypes when I meet someone. I think if a person embodies a few qualities that mold a stereotype, it can be easy to put them into that stereotype altogether. If I meet an athlete, I will sometimes assume the person is a very hardworking and driven individual. Or, if I meet someone works in advertising, I might automatically assume they are untrustworthy or suspicious.

By using person prototypes, we are choosing not to learn about other significant facts that define who people are. It can be easy to make assumptions and compartmentalize what someone is like into a category. I think being open minded and aware is one way to limit judgments. If we try to realize that every person is an individual and unique self, we can avoid separating people into generalized categories. Acknowledging the issue of judging others is one effective step to progress.

No comments: