Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week 7 Discussion Post #2

Although nonverbal messages are more universal than verbal messages, nonverbals do not always carry the same meanings in other cultures. Can you give examples of some of the nonverbal displays that take on different meanings in other countries? If you have moved around within this country, have you ever encountered regional differences in nonverbal meaning?

When I traveled to Scotland this past summer, I noticed a few differences in nonverbal cues, especially when it came to body language. Here in the Silicon Valley life is very fast paced, and it seems like our gestures are very sharp and uptight. In Scotland, however, I found that many people were very relaxed in their movements, and generally easy going with their body movements. Here we might believe these relaxed movements as laziness or indifference.

A good childhood friend of mine (who is from India) once told me that if a guest leaves something on their plate or there is water leftover, it is a sign of disrespect to the host.

I have also read in various courses that in some Asian cultures, it is rude to look someone in the eye for a long period of time. In our culture, however, looking someone in the eye seems like it symbolizes kindness and confidence.

2 comments:

chocoyuko said...

Hello Lady in Society,

When I was living in the Brazil, I was told leaving some food on a plate means respect to the host because it means that "I am full" or "I am satisfied." However in Japan, leaving a food on a plate means completely an opposite meaning; “I didn’t like the food.”
When I worked at a restaurant in Japan, I was asked by my boss to ask customers who left food on a plate why they didn't eat them all. I thought it is rude to ask the customers, but my boss told me in this way, the restaurant can improve the quality of the dishes.

blondie said...

Hello Lady in Society,

I enjoyed reading over your blog! I would agree with you that here in San Jose or California as a whole we look people who are successful or bright if they are standing up straight and very shape with the movements. It is interesting how Scotland’s people have a more relaxed movement about their everyday tasks. I know a few other cultures that have said similar comments about our body movements here in the US. I like how your friend, who is from India told you about their nonverbal communication they use at the dinner table. I hope you received the right amount of food, so that you were able to finish you meal. Very interesting nonverbal message I did not know about India’s culture.

I hope you a wonderful rest of the week!

Thanks,
Blondie