Monday, October 6, 2008

Week 7 Discussion Post #1

Nonverbal messages can be ambiguous, they are open to misinterpretation. Have you ever been wrong about the meaning of someone's nonverbal message? Describe what happened. How can people increase the accuracy with which they interpret nonverbal messages.


A situation that could lead to misinterpretation would be an interview. I have interviewed for various jobs and even if I have been offered the job, I can interpret the interviewer’s nonverbal cues in a negative way. When the interviewer seems serious, with hands tightly clasped upon a desk, it sometimes gives me the impression that he or she is uptight, disapproving, or in a bad mood. However, in this type of situation, I think to increase the accuracy of nonverbal messages we must check the context of the situation. In an interview, I have to remember that I am not the only person applying for a position. Interviewers will hide their happiness or approval because it could end up being favoritism, or maybe the interviewer has other people left to interview. I could also ask the interviewer for verbal feedback, and clarification regarding the situation or environment. Lastly, I could compare current behavior to baseline behavior. It is very unusual for interviewer and interviewee to sit side by side- usually the interviewer sits at the main desk and the interviewee sits across the room. I think it is easy to misinterpret nonverbal cues on a daily basis. But by checking out the environment and breaking down the facts, it should become easier!

Have a great week! ☺

No comments: