Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 7 Discussion Post #3

Pick one concept from the assigned reading that you found useful or interesting and discuss it.


In chapter five, I found paralinguistics, or vocal behavior, really interesting. In a past anthropology course I took, I learned that various animals depend on noises or sounds for food and safety. Although we use verbal language, we also rely on noises and varieties within the voice to pick up nonverbal cues. As Trenholm says, "A lot of meaning in everyday talk lies not in our words but in how we say those words" (Trenholm 120). I really agree with this, because in everyday conversation we can pick up many cues based on various vocal qualities that people have. Our pitch and tone can lead people to make various assumptions about our personality or mood. Vocalizations, like yawning or moaning, also give variety and meaning when accompanied by words. If a person speaking says "um" or pauses a lot, I usually think they are not prepared or nervous about something. These pauses also make me think the person doesn't know what they are talking about. And if a person talks using a nasal voice, I connect that with boring or unhappy. I also know many people connect long, one-toned pitches with boring professors. When I hear big brassy voices I sometimes believe the people to be extremely outgoing and confident. Crying is commonly connected to being sad and moaning can be connected to pain or sorrow.

I think that I make a lot of false assumptions when it comes to vocal behavior. Often times I pause when I am really tired or having a long day. I think it is easy to think we know what people mean when really, we have no idea! :)

No comments: